Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mr. Lucky and the Police

The other day I was driving along the water front in Tacoma, Ruston Way. As I was coming onto Ruston Way at 46 miles an hour a cop was posted up in one of the parking lots watching traffic. I was going 16 miles way too fast over the speed limit. The motorcycle cop merged into the lane of cars and began to maneuver his vehicle behind me. I looked into my rearview mirror at the cop with inquiry... "are you pulling me over?" I pulled over.

The cop asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I looked at him with a facial expression that hopefully said... "are you serious?"

"Yes".

He then asked for my drivers license. I pulled the license out of my wallet and handed it to the police officer. The cop then walked back to his motorcycle before returning to the driver's side window of the car.

"Keep your speed down," he said, handing me my drivers license. "Do you have insurance"?

"Actually sir... I just got back into town from Korea and I haven't had a chance to get that, yet. I just got my tabs but haven't had the time to take care of everything".

I don't know if the cop wasn't listening to what I said or just was in a good mood. Maybe he thought that I was harmless and he actually believed everything I said... which was the truth. 
Whatever the reason... his response, "Drive Safetly".

1 comment:

CJ said...

You were Mr. Lucky. My husband goes over the speed limit all the time, like 70 in a 55 mph area, but has he ever been pulled over? Nooooo. I was ticketed 3 times for going 5 miles over the speed limit. I paid the fines twice, but the 3rd time I decided to appeal ---and the cop didn't show up so it was dismissed.

Get your insurance ---not just to be legal, but in case you are in an accident.

Welcome home.